We're looking for a media analyst
By Charlene Li
My team is looking for an analyst to cover media technologies, including but not limited to: video on-demand, digital content business models, digital rights management, media asset management, media distirbution models, and the impact of technology on traditional media like newspapers, magazines, television, and book publishing. I anticipate that that this will also include RSS, podcasting, and blogging publishing platforms. A full job description is below.
It's a pretty cool job and best of all, you'll be working with our other very cool media analyst -- moi! So if you've ever read a post on this blog and thought to yourself, "Hey, this analysis stuff is pretty cool!" then think about applying for the position. To apply, go to Forrester's Career Opportunities page, click on the link to "Career Center", then "List All Jobs", and look for the Job #437, "Consulting Analyst, Devices, Media and Marketing" (sorry, there's no direct link!). Do me a favor and in the application form, put down "Charlene LI's Blog" as the source!
And of course, if you have any questions about the position (such as what does an analyst REALLY do, what is the lifestyle like, etc.), just drop me an email and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.
Consulting Analyst, Devices, Media, & Marketing
The Consulting Analyst is a critical member of the Devices, Media, & Marketing research team. This team creates research that analyzes the impact of emerging technologies on the consumer electronics, media, entertainment, and marketing industries. The team regularly surveys consumers to help clients understand technology adoption trends, behaviors, and attitudes. We also utilize other research methodologies including executive surveys, market forecasting, technology assessment, and site reviews. The team writes reports to help businesses understand and exploit new technology and consumer trends. It also provides custom research and consulting services to give clients the specific information they need to make strategic technology and business decisions.
The Consulting Analyst will contribute to the team’s media research, with special focus on delivering strategic advice and consulting services. Under the direction of the team’s Research Director, and in collaboration with other Devices, Media, & Marketing Analysts, the Consulting Analyst will conduct primary and secondary research, answer client Inquiries, develop new products, and facilitate customized consulting programs for clients. The Consulting Analyst will write, speak, and advise clients about Forrester’s research. About two-thirds of the Consulting Analyst's time will be spent on consulting and advisory assignments; the remaining third will be spent conducting research and writing reports.
The Consulting Analyst will work as part of a small, high-performance team of other Analysts and Research Associates. He or she will collaborate with team members in all aspects of the job. He or she will:
• Maintain a current level of expertise on specific topics relating to the impact of technology on media. Issues of focus may include emerging forms of media distribution like streaming and downloading, video on-demand, digital content business models, micropayments, digital rights management, media asset management, and the impact of technology on newspapers, magazines, television, and book publishing.
• Understand and analyze the strategy, positioning, and goals of media clients’ efforts to use technology to improve their business, and propose solutions to improve the effectiveness of these efforts.
• Provide telephone and email Inquiry responses to queries placed by Forrester’s clients for various topics related to media. Advise clients by applying Forrester’s research to their specific business environment, applying our ideas to solve the problem.
• Create and maintain relationships with media industry executives by networking within the industry and gaining visibility at events put on by industry groups like the NAB, CTAM, MPA, NPA, and CEA.
• Help scope and deliver consulting assignments including presentations, written papers, and direct client interactions.
• Developing new consulting-oriented products and services for Forrester’s media companies to help them be more successful.
• Prepare data files, graphics, presentations, and other relevant documentation for distribution to clients for advisory sessions.
• Develop research plans, set milestones, and coordinate internal and external resources to ensure research success. Conduct surveys and interviews; analyze and document results.
• Write research about issues relating to media and technology — in a style and form that meets Forrester’s standard for quality and quantity.
• Provide pre-sales support, via telephone and face-to-face meetings with Forrester prospects, working with Forrester’s Sales and Marketing teams.
• Collaborate with other research teams and external partners to enhance and improve the timeliness and value of Forrester’s media research.
Forrester is looking for people who are inspired and inspiring. Our product is our intellectual capital, so we welcome and reward intellectual excellence, curiosity, and sophisticated thinking and look for:
• Four or more years of experience at leading media company or as a consultant with a top consulting firm focused on media strategy.
• A strong knowledge of technology, preferably back-end technologies specific to the media industry, such as editing and production systems, broadcast technologies, or digital asset management software.
• Knowledge of consumer-facing media distribution trends such as streaming, downloading, video on-demand, podcasting, IPTV, digital video recorders, interactive TV, or electronic program guides.
• B.A./B.S. with strong academic record; M.A./M.S./M.B.A. preferred.
• Superior communication skills — verbal, written, presentation, and computer skills.
• Demonstrated capabilities in project management.
• Ability to collaborate across the organization to meet the needs of the client or research project.
• Willingness to work with a high degree of intensity and follow-through.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to travel as needed.
Forrester Research is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer; M/F/D/V are especially encouraged to apply.